Hitbodedut: Praying in Solitude

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I have
blogged before on the Chassidic concept of Hitbodedut - the practice of being alone with G-d. In addition to regular davening from the Siddur, Rebbe Nachman of Breslov frequently recited extemporaneous prayers. In fact, he taught his Chassidim (his followers) that they should spend at least one hour alone each day, talking aloud to G-d in his or her own words, as if "talking to a good friend."
This practice was to be in addition to the prayers of the Siddur. Breslover Chassidim still follow this practice, which is known as hitbodedut (literally, "to make oneself be in solitude").

Today I ran across a short documentary video that does a great job of introducing the concept of Hitbodedut to a wider audience:



According to Rebbe Nachman:

Hitbodedut is the greatest thing - above all else. That is to establish at least one hour or more to be alone in some room, or in the field, and to voice one’s dialogue between himself and his Owner. Reasoning and arguing with graceful words of appeasement and conciliation, requesting and beseeching before Him who is Blessed to bring one close to His service in truth. And this prayer and supplication should be in the language one speaks naturally.”

-Likutei Moharan II, 25

Yeshua, himself, encouraged the practice of spending time alone in prayer:

"But you, when you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. For your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

-Matthew 6:6


2 comments

  1. James Says:

    I found the video compelling and I'm sure Hitbodedut would be a worthwhile way for anyone to pray, even if you're not Jewish. If you'll forgive the conceit, I embedded the video in my recent blog on prayer (the topic was going around certain circles in the blogosphere yesterday).

    The one thing that comes up for me though, is that it's not always easy, even for people like me who live in a small city, to get out into the countryside to pray. Even going into a walk-in closet for an hour can be a challenge when you live with your family. I envy the men in this video having the flexibility to be able to do so.

    Thanks.

  2. Martin Weiss Says:

    unfortunately, I sometimes get in a spiteful or vengeful mood.

    I worry that if I were to say what was in my heart, I would, at some point, lose control of my thoughts and would pray for something bad to happen to someone.U