Quote of the Day

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

"I will accept G-d only if I can confront G-d. Not benign acceptance, but the eternal wrestling of the soul. Jacob wrestled with You and he came forth limping from the arena. I am damaged as well, and I understand completely the Yiddish lament, 'Oh, L-rd, You help complete strangers, why won't You help me?'

There's a Midrash where the question is asked with the addition of a poignant cry, 'G-d, it is such a difficult world, why don't you send someone who can change it?' and G-d answered, 'I did send someone. I sent you.'"

-Rabbi Gerald Wolpe z"l - from his final Kol Nidre sermon delivered before his retirement, as recorded in the book, The New Rabbi, p. 101.


2 comments

  1. James Says:

    I did send someone. I sent you

    That's a chilling note when you realize that it probably applies to all of us. There are no innocent bystanders.

  2. Rabbi Joshua Says:

    James,

    Agreed. I thought it was a very powerful quote.